Sunday, March 18, 2007

After looking at the list of the ten most important video games of all time, there are some interesting choices. Some with which I would agree and some not so much. I think the ten most important games would have to follow criteria in which the game pushed the video game medium forward in terms of the way games are played and the way in which people viewed them.

Games on the list like Tetris, Doom, and Sim City I believe follow this best. They were all essentially the games that started out their genre, became well known among the public, and besides being the first they were very well done.

Now there are some games on that list which I will admit I had never heard of, so I would have to refrain from commenting on their impact on the industry. However, I do consider myself fairly well know in video game history and some of those games I have never heard of, so perhaps they aren’t very influential to genre, because if I don’t know about it, chances are the general public doesn’t either. And if they don’t, then how can those games affect the way people viewed them. But it is very possible that those games may have influenced their own genre, so they still may follow a criteria of pushing the industry forward.

Also, something I don’t quite understand is how they can only list Mario Bros. 3 and then list the whole Warcraft series. It doesn’t make much sense when you consider that the original Mario Bros. paved the way for the third. Also, thinking to Mario64 which shaped the way many 3D games are today.

It’s an interesting list and probably not too far off from being correct in what they were trying to accomplish from it. This list goes to show just how video games are becoming a text that needs to be documented and kept track of and probably re-edited in the future. For example, I can imagine 5 years from now Wii Sports making it on that list, if the Wii continues to shape gaming in the way it is doing with its motion control.

No comments: